|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort McCausland (1864-1865) - A U.S. Civil War post established in 1864 by Confederate forces under Lieutenant General Jubal Anderson Early in Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia. Named for Confederate General John McCausland. Abandoned in 1865.
Fort McCausland History
A U.S. Civil War earthworks redoubt established in June 1864 by Confederate forces under Lieutenant General Jubal Anderson Early in Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia. The earthwork redoubt was built to protect a strategic railroad trestle across Ivy Creek. The Botetourt Artilley emplaced a six gun battery in the redoubt and across the road as Union forces closed on the city.
Union forces attacked the redoubt on 17-18 Jun 1864 from the west and were turned back each time by General McCausland's troops and artillery. Union troops withdrew and left the area.
Abandoned in 1865.
Two markers, the site is on private property with possible remains along the edge of the Fort McCausland Ridge apartments in Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia.
Location: Private Property, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia.
Maps & Images Lat: 37.41337 Long: -79.184207
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 814
Visited: 1 Apr 2012
Fort McCausland Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!