Fort Meigs (3)
Fort Meigs (3) (1778-1780s) - A Revolutionary War Fort established in 1778 at West Point, Orange County, New York. Named Fort Meigs after Colonel Return J. Meigs, 6th Connecticut Regiment. Abandoned in 1780s. Also known as Battery Meigs.
History of Fort Meigs
Part of Fortress West Point.
Established in 1778, construction began in April 1778 and was complete by August 1878. Built as a "U" shaped gun battery with the back of the battery open. Manpower was provided from Fort Wyllis.
Abandoned at the end of the war sometime in the 1780s.
Some remains of foundations but they are subject to foot traffic from family housing area. Most of Battery Miegs was destroyed by the construction of Officer’s Quarters #21 in 1910. On active Military installation and access may be restricted.