Fort Micanopy (1835-1843) - A U.S. Army post first established as Fort Defiance (6) in 1835 during the Second Seminole War by Florida Militia in Alachua County, Florida. Fort destroyed in 1836 and rebuilt in 1837 as Fort Micanopy and garrisoned by Federal Troops. Abandoned in 1843. Also known as Fort Number 7 E.
Micanopy, Alachua County, Florida
Visited: 26 Jan 2012