Fort Miner (1855-1856) - A settler fort, never a military establishment but was built by Curry County settlers and miners. The fort was completed by 1st Lt. Relf Bledsoe and used to house 130 settlers from a hostile Indian uprising in Feb 1856 during the Rogue River Indian War (1855-56).
Curry County, Oregon
Location: About a mile and a half north of the mouth of the Rogue River near the ocean in Curry County, Oregon. (may not be correct location)
Maps & Images
Lat: 42.45139 Long: -124.42222
- Sovereigns of Themselves: A Liberating History of Oregon and Its Coast, Volume VII, Abridged Online Edition, Compiled By M. Constance Guardino III And Rev. Marilyn A. Riedel, copyright January 2006 Maracon Productions
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 136
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 371
- Victor, Frances Fuller, The Early Indian Wars of Oregon: compiled from the Oregon Archives and other Original Sources with Muster Rolls, Farnk C. Baker, State Printer, Salem, Oregon, 1894, page 381
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!