Fort Mitchell (1)
Fort Mitchell (1) (1864-1867) - A U.S. Army post established as Camp Shuman in 1864 during the U.S. Civil War by Captain J. S. Shuman, 11th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, in Scottsbluff, Scotts Bluff County, Nebraska. Later named Fort Mitchell after General Robert B. Mitchell. Abandoned in 1867. Also known as Camp Mitchell
A U.S. Army post established as Camp Shuman in August 1864 as a sub-post of Fort Laramie to guard the Oregon Trail above Scott's Bluff on the south bank of the North Platte River. The post was an 180' x 100' adobe building with a central enclosed parade and a single sentry tower. Abandoned about 1867.
Marker only near Scottsbluff, Scotts Bluff County, Nebraska