Fort Morris (1)
Fort Morris (1) (1776-1782, 1813-1815) - First established early in 1776 by Capt. Morris during the Revolutionary War and reestablished in 1813 during the War of 1812. Abandoned in 1782 and 1815. Also known as Fort George (3) and Fort Defense.
Fort Morris was an earthworks fort built along the shore of the Midway River to defend Savannah, Georgia. The fort was an irregular earthworks fort 275' long mounting some 25 mixed pieces of artillery.
On 25 Nov 1778, some 500 British troops under Col. L.V. Fuser demanded the surrender of Fort Morris and were told: "Come and take it". The British attacked several times and were repulsed by the garrison and town citizens. The British returned 9 Jan 1779 with a 2000 man force and took the fort after a short siege. The British Commander, Gen. Augustine Prevost, changed the fort's name to Fort George (3) after King George and they remained in place until near the end of the war.
A Georgia State Historic Site. Some period guns and mounts on display.