Fort Myers (1850-1858, 1863-1865) - A U.S. Army post established 20 Feb 1850 by Major Samuel C. Ridgely (Cullum 637) and Company A, 4th U.S. Artillery and Company D, 1st U.S. Artillery. Named after Captain Abraham C. Myers (Cullum 738), son-in-law of Major General David E. Twiggs who ordered the fort built. Built on the site of earlier Fort Harvie. Finally abandoned in 1865.
The initial construction of the fort was somewhat delayed by a lack of building materials but supplies from Pensacola fueled a building boom that resulted in a fine post with many permanent facilities. By 1854 the post was considered one of the finest in Florida.
The fort was the subject of an investigation by Major J. McKinstry into reports of lavish facilities that included a bowling alley and a bathing pavilion. Some 57 buildings were in place by 1856. The Third Seminole War began in Dec 1855 and was over in the Spring of 1858 and Fort Myers played a central role. At the conclusion of the War some 124 surrendered Indians under Billy Bowlegs were shipped to a reservation in Arkansas in May 1858. The Fort was then abandoned in June 1858.
In December 1863, during the U.S. Civil War, the fort was reoccupied by five companies of Union troops under Captain James Doyle. The Union troops erected a new barracks and a log and earth breastwork around the post. With the fort secured the troops conducted raids against Confederate beef ranchers in the Florida interior to disrupt beef shipments to the Confederacy. The Fort was continuously garrisoned by Union forces from December 1863 until it was abandoned in June 1865.
Nothing remains. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 24 Dec 2009