Fort Nassau (2)
Fort Nassau (2) (1626-1651) - A fortified Dutch trading post established in 1626 near present day Gloucester, Camden County, New Jersey. Abandoned in 1651. Also known as Fort Eriwonick.
History of Fort Nassau
A fortified Dutch trading post established in 1626 near present day Gloucester. Built with a palisade and battlements protecting the trade buildings. Intermittently and seasonally garrisoned to accommodate the fur trade.
English Colonists from the Virginia occupied the fort briefly in 1635 but the Dutch successfully retook the fort.
Abandoned in 1651 after the construction of Fort Elfsborg, by the New Sweden Governor, Johan Printz in 1643. Fort Elfsborg was located at present day Salem and controlled the river traffic above Delaware Bay and cut off Fort Nassau from the fur trade.
Exact site location is not known.