Fort No. 5 - NYC
Fort No. 5 - NYC (1777-1779) - A British Revolutionary War fortification established in 1777 in New York City, Bronx County, New York. Destroyed by the British in 1779 when they withdrew from their outer defense lines.
History of Fort No. 5
A British Revolutionary War fortification established in 1777 during the invasion and occupation of New York City. Built as square abatised earthwork near the Kingsbridge Road to defend the Dyckman Bridge over the Harlem River.
Demolished by British troops on 18 Sep 1779 and the site was abandoned.
No remains. Site is said to be located near the present day grounds of U.S.Veteran's Hospital.
Note: There is confusion about the numbering and locations of Fort No. 4, Fort No. 5 and Fort Independence. Some maps show that Fort Independence and Fort No. 4 were one in the same and other maps show them as two separate forts. A DAR marker identifies the post at the southern edge of the Jerome Park Reservoir as Fort No. 4 but if Fort Independence was also Fort No. 4 that makes the post at the southern edge of the Jerome Park Reservoir Fort No. 5. It is also possible that the British renumbered the forts after they were captured and built additional ones.
For documentation purposes, these pages assume that Fort Independence and Fort No. 4 were at two different locations and that the DAR marker correctly identifies the location of Fort No. 4. That leaves the exact location of Fort No. 5 unknown and its location is approximated based on the British map above.
When reading modern or historical accounts of these three forts you must determine first which locations are assumed for all three.