Fort Nonsense (1)
Fort Nonsense (1) (1777-1780) - A Patriot Revolutionary War fortification established in 1777 in Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey. Locally named Fort Nonsense. Abandoned as a fortification in 1780 as George Washington moved his headquarters south to Virginia. Includes Washington's Morristown Headquarters and Camp Jockey Hollow,
History of Fort Nonsense
A Patriot Revolutionary War fortification established on 14 May 1777 in Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey. Used mainly during the winter of 1777 and the 1779-1780 winter. The fort was a part of Washinton's complex at Morristown that included his Headquarters, a logistics center known as the "Continental Store", Fort Nonsense and Camp Jockey Hollow.
Washington's Headquarters was located in the Ford mansion built by Patriot Colonel Jacob Ford in the 1770s. Colonel Ford died in January 1777. When General Washington returned to Morristown in the winter of 1779-1780, Colonel Ford's widow vacated all but two rooms and allowed General Washington to establish his headquarters in the remainder of the house. General Washington, his wife Martha and his aids-de-camp occupied the house for six months during that winter.
The "Continental Store" was Washington's supply base in and around Morristown. Fort Nonsense was built on top of "Kinney's Hill" overlooking the town to serve as a refuge for the supply base guards should the British attack. The fort was a small earthworks with a guardhouse for about 30 men typical of posts that guarded supply bases.
Camp Jockey Hollow was used as quarters for up to 10,000 Continental troops that Washington concentrated in this area during the winter of 1779-1780. Many were camped on the 1,400 acre farm of Henry Wick. Some 600 acres of trees on the Wick property were chopped down to provide shelter and firewood for the troops.
Part of Morristown National Historic Park in Morristown, New Jersey. Restored by the National Park Service in 1937.