Fort Normandeau (1885, 1886-1893) - A North West Rebellion fort first established in 1885 in present day Red Deer, Alberta. Named Fort Normandeau after Lieutenant J.E. Bedard Normandeau, 65th Mounted Rifles, Alberta Field Force. Abandoned later in 1885 and then occupied by the North West Mounted Police in 1886 until abandoned by them in 1893. Also known as Red Deer Post.
History of Fort Normandeau
A North West Rebellion fort first established in May 1885 by Lieutenant J.E. Bedard Normandeau, 65th Mounted Rifles, Alberta Field Force. The fort was established around an existing stopping house at a Red Deer River crossing. The two story house was enclosed in a stockade along with three small bastions. The post was abandoned in June 1885 and the property reverted to the original owner of the stopping house, Robert McClellan.
The North West Mounted Police took over the post in 1886 and used it to police the district until they abandoned the post in 1893.
A 1974 reconstructed fort with some elements of the original post (some timbers). Associated interpretive center. Located on Fort Normandeau Historic Site in Waskasoo Park, Red Deer, Alberta.
Visited: 10 Jul 2014