Fort Owen (1850-1871) - First established in 1850 as a trading post and fort by John Owen and named after him. Abandoned in 1871. Also known as Fort John Owen.
Fort Owen History
John Owen purchased a part of St. Mary's Mission from Jesuit Father De Smet in 1850 and established a regional trading post, farm and fort in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana. Owen operated the post until 1871 when ill health forced him to close the post.
Part of Fort Owen State Park, Montana. Contains one restored period building, St. Mary's Mission.
Location: Fort Owen State Park, Ravalli, Ravalli County, Montana. Located 25 miles south of Missoula on U.S. 93 to Stevensville Junction, then .5 miles east on Secondary 269.
Maps & Images
Lat: 46.519839 Long: -114.097293
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: 3,294'
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 474
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 73.
Visited: 21 Jul 2015, 9 Oct 2010