Fort Peck (1867-1879) - A fur trading post established in 1867 by Colonel Campbell Kennedy Peck as a branch of Durfee and Peck Trading Company. The post was named after Colonel Peck. Abandoned in 1879.
Established in 1867 as a Durfee and Peck Trading Company trading post. The palisaded fort was 300' square with five bastions enclosed by a 12 foot high cottonwood log stockade.
In 1871 the post was purchased from Durfee and Peck Trading Company and became the Fort Peck Indian Agency for the Assiniboine and Sioux Indians. The Indian agency was moved in 1878 to Poplar and the original post was eventually abandoned.
Covered by the waters of Fort Peck Reservoir. The map point is not accurate.
Visited: Area 23 Sep 2013