|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Peyton (1837-1840) - A U.S. Army post established in 1837 during the Second Seminole War by Major General Thomas S. Jesup in present day St. Johns County, Florida. Named after 1st Lieutenant Richard H. Peyton, 2nd U.S. Artillery, first post commander, who died in 1839 at Tampa. Abandoned in 1840.
Fort Peyton History
A U.S. Army post established on 17 Jul 1837 during the Second Seminole War. The post was built out as a wooden fort with a blockhouse.
The seminole leader Osceola was seized on 20 Oct 1837 about a mile from the fort while under a flag of truce.
The post was abandoned in July 1840.
Marker only, the marker is located in a wooded area behind a housing development in St. Johns County, Florida.
Location: St. Johns County, Florida.
Maps & Images Lat: 29.821550 Long: -81.356083
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 194-195
Fort Peyton Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!