Fort Prince George (1)
Fort Prince George (1) (1754-1754) - A British colonial fort established in March 1754 just prior to the start of the French & Indian War by Captain William Trent in present day Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. The British completed the fort on 16 Apr 1754 and were forced to abandon it on 18 Apr 1754 by a superior French force who immediately began construction of Fort Duquesne (1) on the same site. The fort was actually surrendered by Ensign Edward Ward because Captain Trent was away. Named for the British Prince of Wales who later became King George III. Also known as Trent's Fort.
Over built by Fort Duquesne (1), no remains, in Fort Pitt State Park, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.
Visited: 15 Aug 2012