Established as an adobe trading post in 1842 by James P. Beckwourth and other fur trappers in the present-day city of Pueblo, Pueblo County, Colorado. The post was a 180' square adobe structure located close to the confluence of the Arkansas River and Fountain Creek. The post population varied from about 150 in 1847 to about 24 in 1854.
The construction of Fort Pueblo was funded by former Bents Old Fort employees who hired Mexican laborers to build the adobe fort in competition with Bent's Fort. At the time, the fort was located in an isolated area along the then U.S. border with Mexico without much official scrutiny. In practice, the fort was said to be engaged in illegal liquor sales with the Indians. In later years the post population declined and it was inhabited by troublemakers some of whom were banned from other locations.
On 25 Dec 1854, a band of hostile Ute Indians attacked the fort and killed all the men but one and captured the sole woman and her two children.
Part of the Colorado Historical Society Museum system, city of Pueblo, Pueblo County, Colorado. An outdoor replica of the fort is constructed at the site and is not dependent on museum hours. This replica is not accurate to the original but represents typical features of a trading post. A separate building covers an archeological dig site that has exposed fragments of the original walls. The building is usually locked but the walls are glass and the dig can be viewed at any time.
Visited: 28 Jul 2019, 3 Oct 2011