Fort Rodd Hill Lower Battery
Fort Rodd Hill Lower Battery (1895-1942) - Fort Rodd Hill Lower Battery was a reinforced concrete six inch coastal gun battery on Fort Rodd Hill in Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. Battery construction started 6 Sep 1895, was completed and transferred for use 31 Mar 1898 at a cost of £4419. Deactivated in 1942.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Victoria and Esquimalt Harbors.
The Lower Battery was built between 1895 and 1898 for two 6" Mark VI breechloading guns and two Mark IV disappearing carriages. The battery included a compound that had a land side defensive outer wall and a casemate barracks that housed the gun crews for both the Upper and Lower Gun Batteries.
Must See! Part of Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Site of Canada in Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. Displays include furnished barracks rooms, a guardhouse, magazine and a smoothbore cannon lifting gin. One cannon on display. The gun emplacements do not have guns or carriages mounted but the roller races remain.
Visited: 22 Jun 2009
Fort Rodd Hill Lower Battery Picture Gallery