Fort San Bernardino (1)
Fort San Bernardino (1) (1851-1857) - A Mormon settlers fort first established in 1851 in present day San Bernardino, San Bernardino County, California. Abandoned in 1857. Also known as Mormon Camp and Mormon Stockade.
Established in 1851 by Mormon settlers as a 12 foot high stockade surrounding the town. The perimeter measured 300' by 720' in the area now occupied by the county courthouse. Army troops were briefly stationed here in 1855. The fort was abandoned as a fortification in 1857 when the majority of Mormons were recalled to Utah during the Mormon War.
Markers only in the city of San Bernardino, San Bernardino County, California.