Fort Schlosser (1760-1857) - A British colonial fort established during the French & Indian War in 1760 in present-day Niagara County, New York. Named for the builder Captain Joseph Schlosser. Surrendered to the United States at the end of the Revolutionary War. Burned by British forces during the War of 1812. Possibly used until about 1857.
Established in 1760 by Captain Joseph Schlosser near the site of earlier French forts. The fort was located at the southern end of the portage road around Niagara Falls on what is now the American side of the Niagara River. It was built as a picketed earthwork with four bastions. The fort was surrendered to the United States at the end of the Revolutionary War when the border was decided.
The post was used as an American supply depot during the War of 1812. It was raided by British forces during the war by troops from Fort Chippawa just across the Niagara River. In 1837, the American steamer Caroline, which had been supplying William Lyon Mackenzie's forces in their rebellion against the Canadian government, was captured while she was moored at the post, with the loss of one American life, then fired and set adrift; precipitating a brief crisis in Anglo-American relations.
The post may have been used as late as 1857.
No remains, marker only in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York.