Fort Scott (5)
Fort Scott (5) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1861 in Arlington County, Virginia. Named Fort Scott after Lieutenant General Winfield Scott who was in command of the Union Army early in the war. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Scott
Fort Scott was also one of 33 forts on the Virginia side of the Potomac River that made up an outer defense line for Washington DC known as the Arlington Line.
The fort was built with a perimeter of 313 yards enclosing emplacements for 8 guns, two magazines, a guard house and bombproof. Armament included five 24 pounders, one 8" howitzers, one 30 pounder Parrott rifle, one 6 pounder and two 10" mortars.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Scott, Major Trumbull commanding.–Garrison, one company First Connecticut Heavy Artillery–4 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 137 men. Armament, two 12-pounder mountain howitzers, two 6- pounder James (rifled). Magazines, two; dry and in good condition. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete. Drill in artillery, fair. Drill in infantry, fair. Discipline, fair. Garrison sufficient for the work."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
A marker and some remains on the park grounds and private property west of the marker.