Fort Sedgwick (2) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1861 in Southeast Washington DC. The fort was never armed and was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war. Also known as Kennedy's Hill Fort and sometimes spelled as Fort Sedgewick.
History of Fort Sedgwick
Established in 1861 but not armed.
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 531577
Location: Chaplin Street and Hilltop Terrace in Southeast Washington DC.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.88417 Long: -76.93639
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 135.