Fort Selden (1)
Fort Selden (1) (1820-1822) - First established in 1820 by Lt. Colonel Zachary Taylor, 7th U.S. Infantry. Named after Captain Joseph Selden, veteran of the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Abandoned in 1822 for Fort Jesup.
Fort Seldon was established as a replacement for Fort Claiborne (1) six miles above that fort on Bayou Pierre near Grand Ecore. Served as the Headquarters of the Western Department for a while. Garrison moved to Fort Jesup after the Treaty of Washington established the Sabine River as the western boundary of Louisiana.