Fort Sherbrooke (2)
Fort Sherbrooke (2) (1814-1815) - A British fort established in 1814 during the War of 1812 in Castine, Hancock County, Maine. Probably named for Sir John Coape Sherbrooke, who commanded the British invasion fleet. Abandoned in 1815 when the British left.
War of 1812 (1812-1814)
Fort Sherbrooke was established after the British capture of Castine in September 1814. This fort was built as one of a series of smaller fortifications surrounding the main British fort on the peninsula, Fort George. Fort Sherbrooke fort covered the northern approach across the peninsula. The other fortifications included Fort Furieuse, Fort Gosselin, Fort Griffith, the captured Fort Madison (1) (renamed Fort Castine) and a number of gun batteries. The fort was dismantled when the British left in April 1815.
Private property in Castine, Hancock County, Maine
Visited: 28 Jun 2012