Fort Snyder (2) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1861 in Southeast Washington DC. Named Fort Snyder probably after Bvt Major George W. Snyder, (Cullum 1711), who served at Charleston Harbor, Fort Sumter during the bombardment, and who took sick and died after the Battle of Bull Run. The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Snyder
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 as an outwork to Fort Stanton with a perimeter of 210 yards and emplacements for eight guns.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Snyder, Capt. James M. Richardson commanding.–Garrison, one-half company of Twelfth Company Heavy Artillery, Massachusetts Volunteers–2 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 69 men. Armament, six l2-pounder field guns, two 8-inch siege howitzers, one Coehorn mortar. Magazines, one; dry and serviceable. Ammunition, full supply and in good order. Implements, complete and in good condition. Garrison drilled some at artillery and infantry, sufficient for guard."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains and no markers.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 531579
Location: 14th Place and Congress Place in Southeast Washington DC.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.84694 Long: -76.9825
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 139.
- NPS Civil War Defenses of Washington - Appendix E: General Reports About the Defenses