Fort St. Michael (2) (1897-1923) - A U.S. Army Fort established in 1897 during the Alaska Gold Rush by Lieutenant Colonel George M. Randall, 8th U.S. Infantry, in present day St. Michael, Nome Census Area, Alaska. Abandoned in 1923.
Fort St. Michael Winter View circa 1900
Established by Lieutenant Colonel George M. Randall and a detachment of 8th U.S. Infantry troops from Fort D.A. Russell (2), Wyoming on 8 Oct 1897. The post was established during the Alaska Gold Rush to maintain law and order in St. Michael, Alaska.
The post was abandoned in 1923.
Fort St. Michael (2) Partial Commanders List (edit list)
||Walker, Edgar Smith
||Wilson, Richard H.
|Dates are formatted in yyyy-mm-dd to sort correctly.|
The Cullum Number is the graduation order from the United States Military Academy by year and class rank and links to a page for the officer on the website version of the Cullum Register. Listings without a Cullum Number indicate that the person was not a graduate of the United States Military Academy.
St. Michael, Nome Census Area, Alaska.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1408977
Location: St. Michael, Nome Census Area, Alaska. Map point is approximate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 63.4780556 Long: -162.0391667
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 27