Fort St. Nicholas (2)
Fort St. Nicholas (2) (1683-1684) - A French Fur Trading Fort established in 1683 near Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin. Abandoned in 1684.
A French Fur Trading post and fort established in 1683 by Nicolas Perrot. Abandoned in 1684.
Location of the site is uncertain, described as at or near the mouth of the Wisconsin River. Scholarly studies of the controverted question can be found in Wisconsin Historical Collections, 10:305‑772 (sic), and Clark's "Early Forts on the Upper Mississippi" in Proceedings of the Mississippi Valley Historical Association, 4:93‑98 (1910‑1911).