Fort Steuben (2)
Fort Steuben (2) (1786-1787) - A U.S. Army fort first established by Major John Francis Hamtramck in 1786 at present day Steubenville, Jefferson County, Ohio. Named Fort Steuben on 2 Jan 1787 after Major General Freidrich Wilhelm August Baron von Steuben, inspector general of the American Revolutionary Army. Abandoned in 1787.
Established on 11 Oct 1786 to facilitate the Northwest Survey of lands west of the Ohio River. The post was completed on 8 Jan 1787.
Built as a square log fort with blockhouses at all four corners. The blockhouses served as quarters for the enlisted troops and houses on either side of the main gate served as the officer's quarters.
On 23 May 1787 at the end of the first phase of the survey the fort was abandoned in favor of Fort Harmar which was closer to the survey parties. The troops were sent to Fort Harmar and the supplies to Fort Henry. The fort remained standing until it was destroyed by fire in 1790.
A visitor center and replica of the fort on the original site in Steubenville, Jefferson County, Ohio.