|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Swatara (1756-1758) - A settler built stockaded blockhouse established in 1756 by Peter Hedrick in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania. Improved and commanded by Captain Frederick Smith. Abandoned as a fortification in 1758. Also known as Smith's Fort and Captain Frederick Smith's Fort.
Fort Swatara History
Fort Swatara was a settler stockaded blockhouse established in early January 1756 by Captain Peter Hedrick in response to Indian attacks in the area. Captain Frederick Smith and his company were mustered into provincial service early in January 1756 and on 26 Jan 1856 were ordered to establish a defense or occupy and improve the existing defense at Swatara and Manada. The garrison at both forts was spread between the fort and settlers homes protecting the dwellings and the workers in the field.
The post was probably abandoned in 1758.
Private Property in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania
Location: On Private Property, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania.
Maps & Images Lat: 40.46456 Long: -76.51436
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 694
Visited: 24 Apr 2012
Fort Swatara Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!