Fort Thompson (1)
Fort Thompson (1) (1864-1867, 1870-1871) - First established in September 1864 by Captain Nelson Minor, Dakota Cavalry. Named after Colonel Clark W. Thompson, Superintendent of Indian Affairs at St. Paul, Minnesota. Abandoned in 1867 and re-garrisoned 1870-1871. Also known as Post at Crow Creek Agency.
This post was originally built as a 300' by 400' stockaded two company fort garrisoned by Iowa Volunteers. The stockade was later expanded to 450' by 650'. The post was abandoned on 9 Jun 1867 and troops withdrawn. In 1870 the post became a sub-post of Fort Sully (2) and in 1871 it was turned over to the Crow Creek Agency for use by the reservation. In 1878 the post was dismantled.
In Fort Thompson Recreation Area. Nothing remains.
Visited: 27 Sep 2010