Fort Vannoy (1855-1856) - A Oregon Volunteer post established in 1855 during the Rogue River Indian War of 1855-56. One of the more important posts of the Oregon Volunteers serving as the headquarters camp. Site located on the north bank of the Rogue River about four miles above present day Grants Pass, Josephine County, Oregon. Possibly named for the family on whose land donation claim it was located (Margaret Vannoy). Also known as Camp Vannoy. Name may actually be spelled Van Noy.
Rogue River Indian War (1855-1856)
An Oregon Volunteer headquarters post established in October/November 1855 during the Rogue River Indian War of 1855-56. Thought to have contained a group of log houses enclosed by a breastwork or low stockade on the land donation claim of Margaret Vannoy near present day Grants Pass in Josephine County, Oregon.
Both Fort Vannoy and Camp Vannoy were referenced in some of the same period documents, possibly referring to the fort itself and a camp surrounding or nearby the fort. Abandoned as a military post at the end of the war.
Marker only at Fort Vannoy Farms, Grants Pass, Josephine County, Oregon. Marker replace and rededicated 21 Apr 2012. The marker is located on Fort Vannoy Farms, 5791 Lower River Road in Grants Pass, Oregon.
Location: On the north bank of the Rogue River about four miles west of the town of Grants Pass, Josephine County, Oregon. Map point may not be accurate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 42.43222 Long: -123.42306
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 374
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 669
- Victor, Frances Fuller, The Early Indian Wars of Oregon: compiled from the Oregon Archives and other Original Sources with Muster Rolls, Farnk C. Baker, State Printer, Salem, Oregon, 1894, 390-392
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, 133
Visited: 7 Nov 2012, 27 Jun 2008
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!