Fort Vermilion (2)
Fort Vermilion (2) (1802-1810, 1811-1816) - Established in 1802 as a common palisade/defense housing two trading posts, one a Hudson's Bay Company fur trading post and the other a North West Company (NWC) fur trading post. Located along the North Saskatchewan River at the mouth of the Vermilion River, near present day Lea Park, Alberta, Canada. Probably founded by James Hughes of the NWC and Henry Hallet of the HBC. Named after the Vermilion River. Abandoned in 1810 but re-occupied in 1811. Again abandoned in 1816. Also known as Paint Creek House
A Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) fur trading post and North West Company (NWC) fur trading post surrounded by a common palisade established in 1802 along the North Saskatchewan River at the mouth of the Vermilion River. One of the 'paired fort' sites established by the HBC and the NWC on the North Saskatchewan River. HBC records don't begin until 1814.
The NWC portion of the fort was visited during 1808-1810 by explorer Alexander Henry, At that time the NWC portion had at least 130 residents in 10 houses and 2 tents. The posts traded with the local Blackfoot, Cree and Assiniboine tribes.
The two posts were simultaneously abandoned on 31 May 1810 and moved to Fort White Earth at the mouth of the White Earth River. Fort Vermilion/Paint Creek House was re-opened in 1811 and remained in operation until 1816 (HBC records end in 1821).
Part of Fort Vermilion Provincial Park Historical Site. A provincial cairn with a plaque marks the location. Archaeological investigation at the site in 1991 led to the collection of more than 3,600 artifacts.