Fort Wead (1864-1865) - A U.S. Civil War post established in 1864 by Union forces in Chesterfield County, Virginia. Named for Colonel Frederick Wead, 98th New York Infantry, who was killed at Cold Harbor on 3 Jun 1864. Abandoned in 1865.
Fort Wead was constructed in June of 1864 as a backup to the main line of Union fortifications. The fort had emplacements for six 32-pounder cannons within a small earthworks. Inside the earthworks was a bombproof magazine dug into the ground and protected by a log and earth cover. All of the guns faced west, two in the corners and four along the parapet. Access to the fort was from an east side sally port and a draw bridge over the surrounding moat. The fort was never directly attacked.
A small park in Chesterfield County, Virginia. Markers and earthworks only.
Visited: 6 Apr 2012