Fort Williams (5)
Fort Williams (5) (1755-1756) - A colonial French & Indian War Fort established in 1755 along the Mohawk River at present day Rome, Oneida County, New York. Located at the southern terminis of the Oneida Carry. Destroyed by the British in August 1756 to prevent its capture.
History of Fort Williams
Established in 1755 on the MoHawk River during the French & Indian War at the southern terminis of the Oneida Carry as a British colonial fort. Built about 1/4 mile downstream from the future site of Fort Stanwix.
The fort was constructed with a log stockade in a pinwheel shape with two blockhouses on opposing sides and one internal storehouse. Destroyed by the British themselves to prevent its capture on 20 Aug 1756 after the French took Fort Oswego, Fort Ontario and Fort George (6).