Fort Wingate (1) (1862-1868) - A U.S. Army post established in 1862 during the U.S. Civil War by Lt. Colonel J. Francisco Chavez, 1st New Mexico Infantry, near present day San Rafael in Cibola County, New Mexico. Named for Captain Benjamin Wingate, 5th U.S. Infantry, who died 1 Jun 1862 of wounds received at the Battle of Valverde during the U.S. Civil War. Abandoned in 1868. Also known as Fort El Gallo.
Fort Wingate (1) History
Established 22 Oct 1862 by Lt. Colonel J. Francisco Chavez, 1st New Mexico Infantry as an advanced post for Colonel Kit Carson's campaign against the Navajo.
The post was abandoned in July 1868 and the garrison was transferred to the new Fort Wingate (2) near present day Gallop.
San Rafael, Cibola County, New Mexico
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 534
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 106-107
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 108
- James, Harold L., History of Fort Wingate
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 933407