Fort Wyllis (1778-1780s) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Fort established in 1778 at West Point, Orange County, New York. Named Fort Wyllis after Colonel Samuel Wyllis, 3rd Connecticut Regiment. Abandoned in 1780s. Also known as Redoubt Wyllis and the name is sometimes spelled Wyllys.
History of Fort Wyllis
Part of Fortress West Point.
Construction began in April 1778 of a redoubt and associated gun battery. The redoubt was shaped as a pentagon with a perimeter of 258 feet and a single embrasure looking south. The redoubt covered the south approach and the associated battery. Interior included a bombproof and a magazine. The redoubt mounted three cannons, one facing south and two facing east.
Described by Major General Benedict Arnold on 25 Sept 1780: “Built of stone, 5 feet high, the work above plank filled with earth, the stone work 15 feet, the earth 9 feet thick, no bomb proofs, the batteries without the fort.”
The associated battery is located south of the redoubt and mounted two 18 pounders and three 3 pounders. The earthen parapets were 102' long with four embrasures cut into them. There may have been a palisade and parapet connecting the redoubt to the battery. A large epaulment on the west side provided cover from flanking fire.
Abandoned after the end of the war sometime in 1780s.
One of the best preserved redoubts at West Point. On active Military installation and access may be restricted.