Fort Yukon (2) (1897-1898) - A U.S. Army Fort established in 1897 during the Alaska Gold Rush by Captain Partick Henry Ray, 8th U.S. Infantry, in present day Fort Yukon, Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area, Alaska. Named for the location. Abandoned in 1898.
Established by Captain Partick Henry Ray and a detachment of 8th U.S. Infantry troops on 15 Sep 1897. Established to provide law and order during the Alaska Gold Rush.
The post was abandoned in January 1898.
Fort Yukon, Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area, Alaska.
Location: Fort Yukon, Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area, Alaska. Map point may not be accurate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 66.5647222 Long: -145.2738889
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 30
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1402276