Fort de Buade
Fort de Buade (1681-1696) - A French colonial fort first established in 1681 as a Jesuit mission in present day St. Ignace. Mackinac County, Michigan. Fortified in 1683 by Olivier Morel de La Durantaye. Named for Louis de Buade, Comte de Frontenac, governor of New France (1672-1682, 1689-1698). Rebuilt in 1689 after the Fort Saint Joseph (1) garrisoned was moved there in 1688. Abandoned in 1696. Also known as Fort Michilimackinac (1).
Fort de Buade History
Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette established his mission at St. Ignace in 1681 to convert the area Indians to Christianity. The mission was stockaded and fortified in 1683 by Olivier Morel de La Durantaye to protect the community, to control the fur trade on the great lakes and to prevent British expansion into the area. The post and the town became an important center for the fur trade, attracting traders, trappers and Indians.
The post was rebuilt in 1689 after the Fort Saint Joseph (1) garrison was moved there in 1688. The military garrison departed in 1696 after the fur market crashed. The mission was abandoned in 1701. The French returned to the other side of the Straits of Mackinac and built Fort Michilimackinac (2) at present day Mackinaw City in 1712.
Marker only in St. Ignace, Mackinac County, Michigan. Exact location unknown.
Visited: 26-28 Aug 2013