Gillespie's Fort (1785-1788) - A settlers Fort established in 1785 near present day Rockford, Blount County, Tennessee. Named Gillespies Fort after James Gillespie. Abandoned in 1788. Sometime spelled as Gillespy Fort also known as James Gillespie's Fort and Burnt Station.
History of Gillespies Fort
Established in 1785 as a settler fort by James Gillespie. Attacked by hostile Cherokee Indians led by John Watts on 17 Oct 1788. The settlers fought until they ran out of ammunition and then they were overrun. Seventeen were killed and twenty eight were taken prisoner by the attackers. The fort was burned to the ground and the site became known as Burnt Station.