Government Point Battery
Government Point Battery (1939-1944) - Government Point Battery was a World War II Canadian reinforced concrete 4.7-inch coastal gun battery. Subpost of the Royal Canadian Naval Station HMCS Shelburne, Shelburne, Nova Scotia, Canada. Deactivated in 1944.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Shelburne, Nova Scotia.
World War II (1939-1945)
Built as a reinforced concrete coastal gun battery with two casemated 4.7-inch gun emplacements and a searchlight station garrisoned by the 104th Coast Artillery Battery. Established as Subpost of the Royal Canadian Naval Station HMCS Shelburne, headquartered at Shelburne, Nova Scotia.
The battery was located directly north of Fort McNutt with it's two 10-inch American guns. Both batteries protected the harbor entrance to Shelburne. The Port of Shelburne was designated as an alternate port to Halifax Harbour during WWII.
Deactivated in 1944 before the end of the war.
The remains of the two concrete emplacements still exist although they have been vandalized. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 3 Jun 2018