Grand Battery (1766-1783) - A pre-Revolutionary War Battery established in 1766 as a large outerwork of Fort George (14) in New York City, New York County, New York. Captured by Patriot forces in 1775 at the beginning of the Revolutionary War. Recaptured by British forces in 1776 and held by them until the British evacuation of New York City in 1783. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war. Destroyed in 1790 by the city of New York.
History of the Grand Battery
A pre-Revolutionary War Battery established in 1766 as a large outerwork of Fort George (14) in New York City. The battery extended from west of Fort George around the southern tip of Manhattan Island to the eastern end of present day Battery Park. The battery was built of stone and could accommodate up to 100 cannons.
At the start of the Revolutionary War Fort George (14) and the Grand Battery were captured by Patriot forces in 1775. Alexander Hamilton and Captain John Lamb removed some eleven artillery pieces from the battery for other fortifications. When George Washington arrived in New York City in 1776 the battery was armed with thirteen 32-pounders, one 24-pounder, three 18-pounders, two 2-pounders, one brass mortar and three iron mortars. The north side bastions and ramparts were destroyed in February 1776 to prevent enemy use of the fort to dominate the town.
The battery came under fire from two British ships, the HMS Phoenix and the HMS Rose, on 12 Jul 1776 as they attempted to run up the Hudson River.
New York City was recaptured by British forces in the fall of 1776 and held by them until the British evacuation of New York City in 1783. During the occupation the British made Fort George (14) and the Grand Battery their headquarters.
The British evacuated New York City at 12:00 noon on 25 Nov 1783 and control of the fort and the battery returned to the Patriot forces.
The fort and the Grand Battery were abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war. Both were destroyed in 1790 by the city of New York.
Some remains of the Grand Battery walls can be seen inside the Castle Clinton National Monument Museum.