Great Redoubt (1862-1863) - A Confederate fortification established in 1862 as a part of the defenses of Vicksburg in Warren County, Mississippi. Abandoned after the fall of Vicksburg in 1863.
Built as a rectangular earthworks overlooking the strategic Jackson Road entrance into Vicksburg from the east.
From the beginning of Union General Ulysses S. Grant's attack on Vicksburg the Great Redoubt was under heavy bombardment and attack from Union forces. The redoubt defenders drove off the attackers and inflicted such heavy casualties on 22 May 1863 that the frontal attacks were abandoned. During the 22 May attack the Union did manage to plant the colors on the ramparts of the redoubt but were unable to hold the ground and were driven back.
In spite of heavy bombardment, the Great Redoubt remained in Confederate hands until the surrender of Vicksburg on 4 Jul 1863.
Part of Vicksburg National Military Park, Warren County, Mississippi
Visited: 4 Dec 2009