Helena Barracks (1877-1878) - A temporary U.S. Army Barracks was established in 1877 near Helena, Lewis and Clark County, Montana. Named Helena Barracks after the location. Abandoned in 1878.
Established on 7 Nov 1877, by five companies of the 3rd U.S. Infantry, commanded by Colonel DeLancey Floyd-Jones (Cullum 1316), on the then Helena Fair Grounds about three miles outside the city.
Helena Barracks was abandoned on 22 May 1878.
The site is now located along 10 Milecreek on the Green Meadow Country Club adjacent to the fairgrounds.
Location: Helena, Lewis and Clark County, Montana.
Maps & Images
Lat: 46.6244444 Long: -112.0666667
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: 3,868'
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 471.
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1789153