Huntsville Fort (1860-1862) - A Mormon settler fort established in 1860 in present day Huntsville, Weber County, Utah. Named for Captain Jefferson Hunt, Company A, Morman Battalion. Abandoned as a fortification in 1862.
History of Huntsville Fort
Established in fall of 1860 to protect the town against hostile Indian attacks. This was a small fort about 50' by 93' enclosing about ten cabins and a coral/animal shelter. The cabins were arranged around the perimeter, facing inward. The spaces between the cabins were filled in with upright cottonwood logs to form a stockade.
The fort was abandoned as a fortification in 1862 as more settlers arrived and the Huntsville town center developed north of the fort.
No public access to the actual site but a marker was located near the town center.
Visited: 7 Jul 2015