Jersey Battery (1776-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War fortification established in 1776 in New York City, New York County, New York. Captured in 1776, improved and used by the British during their seven year occupation of New York City. Returned to Patriot control when the British evacuated New York City in 1783. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.
History of Jersey Battery
Established in February 1776 as a five sided fortification with five guns located south of Grenadier's Battery along the Hudson River. Jersey Battery was connected to Grenadier's Battery by a line of entrenchments.
Jersey Battery was captured by the British in November 1776. The battery was used by the British during their occupation of New York City, renovated and improved in 1782.
The battery was returned to Patriot control when the British evacuated New York City on 25 Nov 1783. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.
No remains. Described as being located between Duane and Reade Streets west of Greenwich Street.