Lacolle River Blockhouse
|Lacolle River Blockhouse (1781-1838) - A British blockhouse established in 1781 during the Revolutionary War in present day Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix, Le Haut-Richelieu RCM, Quebec, Canada. Regarrisoned during the War of 1812 and the Canadian Rebellion. Also known as Lacolle Mills Blockhouse and Lacolle Bridge Blockhouse
Lacolle River Blockhouse History
Originally built in 1781 during the Revolutionary War as one of a number of defenses along the Richelieu River designed to block any American attempt to invade Canada by that route.
During the War of 1812 some 4,000 American troops under General James Wilkinson attacked 600 British troops at nearby Lacolle Mills on 30 Mar 1814. The blockhouse was involved in the ensuing action that saw the American forces routed by the entrenched British and militia troops. The blockhouse was abandoned after the end of the war.
During the Canadian Rebellion on 7 Nov 1838 the blockhouse was involved in one of the last conflicts between the Loyalist militia and the Patriotes.
In a city park in Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix, Le Haut-Richelieu RCM, Quebec, Canada. This is a restored original structure, possibly the last original blockhouse in Quebec. Inside are artifacts, interpretive signs and models that explain the role of the blockhouse.
Visited: 29 Jul 2013