Lethbridge NWMP Barracks
Lethbridge NWMP Barracks (1887-1946) - A North West Mounted Police (NWMP) post first established in 1887 in present day Lethbridge, Alberta. Abandoned in 1946.
Lethbridge NWMP Barracks History
In 1886 the Division K Headquarters, North West Mounted Police (NWMP) was moved to Lethridge, Alberta. The existing Fort Whoop-Up NWMP post at Lethbridge was only a single small rented building and was not adequate for the new headquarters. The NWMP purchased "Barracks Square", a four block area in downtown Lethbridge for a new post known as Lethbridge NWMP Barracks.
The new post occupied the area now bounded by Stafford Dive South, 6 Avenue South, 11 Street South and 4 Avenue South. It contained barracks, mess halls, stables, a jail, administrative buildings, training facilities and a parade.
This facility remained in use until 1946 when most of the property was sold to the city and the RCMP moved into new smaller quarters at 441 9 Street South.
"Barracks Square" now contains mostly civic buildings including the Lethbridge City Hall. A marker commemorating the NWMP/RNWMP/RCMP Barracks is situated near the former main entrance to the barracks, next to the city hall, on 4 Avenue south.
The only remaining building from the barracks was moved from the original site and is now located at 1708 10 Avenue South. The building was originally a mess hall and has been renovated, repurposed and is now in use by the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets #34 and the Navy League of Lethbridge #50. An informative plaque is located at the front entrance.
Visited: 12 Aug 2014