Lunette Reynolds (1863-1866) - A Union U.S. Civil War Lunette established in 1863 as a part of Fortress Rosecrans in present day Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tennessee. Named Lunette Reynolds after Brigadier General Joseph J. Reynolds, (Cullum 1176). The Lunette was abandoned in 1866 after the end of the war when Fortress Rosecrans was abandoned.
History of Lunette Reynolds
After the Union army occupied Murfreesboro, Tennessee in January 1863, Major General William S. Rosecrans, (Cullum 1115), Commander of the Army of the Cumberland, gave his chief engineer Brigadier General USV James St. Clair Morton, (Cullum 1495), the job of designing and constructing what became Fortress Rosecrans. Morton planned a large enclosed fortification of over 200 acres that occupied both the north and south sides of the Stones River at Murfreesboro and included an important road junction and a rail line.
Lunette Reynolds and the other Lunettes at Fortress Rosecrans were lightly armed earthworks along the outer perimeter providing strong points along a line of rifle trenches that connected them. Each Lunette was served by batteries of three to nine guns under the command of a commissioned officer with 60 to 100 enlisted men present.
An inspection report dated 14 Jan 1864 indicated that the battery shared by Lunette Reynolds, Lunette Sheridan and Lunette Rousseau was under the command of Captain W.A. Gregory, 22nd Illinois Infantry and was armed with three 6 pounders field guns, one rifled 24 pounder and one 8" siege howitzer.
Lunette Reynolds was abandoned in 1866 after the end of the war when Fortress Rosecrans was abandoned.