McChord AFB Lashup Radar Site
McChord AFB Lashup Radar Site (1950-1951) - A Cold War Air Force Lashup Radar Site first established in 1950 on McChord Field, Pierce County, Washington. Named McChord Air Force Base Lashup Radar Site after the location. Assigned a Lashup ID of L-32. Abandoned in 1951.
History of McChord Air Force Base Lashup Radar Site
Established in 1950 and became operational in June 1950 as McChord Air Force Base Lashup Radar Site manned by the 636th AC&W Squadron. The station initially had an early warning mission and a Ground Control Intercept mission. The early warning mission involved tracking and identifying all aircraft entering their airspace while the GCI mission involved guiding interceptor aircraft to their targets.
Initial equipment included a CPS-4 height-finder radar from shipped from Hoquiam, WA. A CPS-5 search radar was soon provided and the site was operational in June 1950.
The L-32 Lashup System radar site at McChord was deactivated in Jun 1951 and coverage was assumed by a new site on McChord AFB, Permanent System Radar Site P-1. On 27 Jun 1951 the 636th AC&W Squadron was moved to Condon Air Force Station, OR (P-32).
Site abandoned on McChord AFB, Pierce County, Washington.
Visited: 23 Sep 2015