Mission Nuestra Senora del Rosario
Mission Nuestra Senora del Rosario (1754-1831) - A fortified Spanish mission established in 1754 by Franciscan missionaries in present day Goliad County, Texas. Secularized and abandoned in 1831.
The mission was established in November 1754 by Father Juan de Dios Camberos in an effort to provide an alternative for Indian tribes who could not assimilate at other missions. The initial attempts at agriculture were not successful and the mission turn to ranching to support the mission. The ranching operation was successful and the mission herd grew to some 30,000 head in 1780. Indian problems caused the mission to be abandoned in 1781 but it was reopened in 1789.
The Nuestra Senora del Refugio Mission was established in 1792 and in 1797 all the Cocos Indians at Mission Rosario went to Mission Refugio. In 1804 all of the remaining Indians went to Mission Refugio and Mission Rosario was combined with Mission Refugio 1807. Mission Rosario was secularized in 1831.
Ruins only at the site. The site given to Goliad State Park Commission by W. J. O'Connor in 1935. Not open to the public but is viewable through a chain link fence.
Visited: 1 Dec 2011