Mound Fort (1853-1855) - A Mormon settler fort established in 1853 just before the Walker Indian War in present day Ogden, Weber County, Utah. Abandoned as a fortification in 1855 when the residents were ordered to move into Ogden city. Also known as Ogden Stockade.
Mound Fort Marker next to the LDS Church on top of the Mound Fort Site.
History of Mound Fort
Established in 1853 at the request of Brigham Young. The new fort was built around an Indian burial bound to protect settlers against hostile Indian attacks during the Walker Indian War (1853-1854).
A ten foot high wall of stone and adobe surrounded the base of the mound. The steep north side of mound formed one of the walls and was topped with just a three foot high rifle revetment. About sixteen families may have occupied the fort.
Probably abandoned as a fortification in 1855 when Brigham Young ordered the occupants to move into the larger Ogden Fort.
Marker only at the intersection of Childs Ave. and E. 10th St., Ogden, Weber County, Utah.
Location: Ogden, Weber County, Utah.
Maps & Images
Lat: 41.245806 Long: -111.973
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: 4,304'
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, 792.
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, 175.
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1448693
- Jones, Gordon Q., Pioneer Forts in Ogden Utah, 1996, self published, 13 sheets, sheet 7.
Visited: 6 Jul 2015